Galette’s are a wonderful way to enjoy local and in season flavours. They are versatile and look absolutely beautiful for your holiday entertaining. For a vegan option, sub-stitute, vegan butter and vegan cheese or omit the cheese completely.
Prep & Cook Time 1.5 hours + dough chilling time
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
1 leek, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cup (5.3 oz) shiitake mushroom with stem, sliced
2 cup (5.3 oz) cremini mushroom with stem, sliced
1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh thyme leaves
130 g goat cheese, softened
1 tbsp (15 mL) honey
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) fresh ground pepper
1 3/4 (425 mL) cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
10 tbsp (150 mL) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled
1/4 cup (60 mL) + 3 tbsp (45 mL) ice water
1 tsp (5 mL) apple cider vinegar
1 large egg and 1 tbsp (15 mL) water beaten for egg wash 2 tsp (10 mL) black and white sesame seeds
- To make the dough, pulse all-purpose flour and salt in a food processor to combine. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl; drizzle with vinegar and ¼ cup ice water. Mix with a fork, adding more ice water by the tablespoonful if needed, just until a dough comes together; lightly knead until no dry spots remain (do not overwork). Pat into a disk and wrap in plastic. Chill at least 2 hours.
- To make the filling, in a small sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add mushrooms. Sauce for 1- 2 minutes until mushrooms are slightly soft and brown. Remove from heat, stir in thyme and salt and pepper.
- Place goat cheese in a medium bowl, add honey and mix until well blended.
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out dough on the lightly floured surface to a 12 inch round and carefully place on lined baking sheet.
- Spread goat cheese mixture evenly on dough, leaving about an inch of space around.
- Line the top of the goat cheese with the mushroom mixture.
- Fold in the sides just enough to meet up with the mushrooms to make a frame around them.
- Brush the frame of the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top of egg wash around the pastry frame.
- Place in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 35-45 minutes until crust is golden. Let cool for 5 minutes prior to cutting.