The beauty of fall is upon us, bringing changing leaves, cozy sweaters, warm spices and comfort food. This farm-to-table lasagna features in season flavors of peppery squash, roasted garlic, and fresh sage with a slight smoky cheese flavor – perfect for an elegant fall evening dinner.
1 large pepper squash
1 whole garlic
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 medium cooking onion, small diced
796 mL (28 fl oz) can San Marzano pureed tomatoes
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
2 tbsp fresh sage, thinly sliced
350 g smoked mozzarella, grated
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano, extra for garnish
10 fresh lasagna noodles
Servings: 8-10 | Prep & Cook time: 2 Hours
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Slice squash lengthwise and clean out seeds. Place on baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and maple syrup.
- Cut top of garlic just enough to expose tops.
- Drizzle the expose cloves with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Wrap with foil and place on baking sheet with squash.
- Roast in oven until squash and garlic have softened, about 30–35 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Reduce oven to 375 F.
- In a large sauce pan, heat remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil and add onion. Sauté until soft and translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove garlic from skin and place in the pan with onions.
- Scoop out the squash from the skin and add to onions and garlic.
- Sauté for 1-2 minutes while breaking down the squash with a wooden spoon.
- Add tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 6 minutes, stir in fresh sage and remove from heat.
- Line the bottom of a 81/2 x 11 pan with sauce to avoid noodles from sticking.
- Cover bottom of pan with fresh noodle sheets.
- Cover with sauce and top with grated mozzarella.
- Repeat for remaining layers ensuring you end with sauce on top. Sprinkle with mozzarella and grated parmigiano cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until top is slightly golden.
- Remove from oven, cover and let rest for 6-7 minutes for lasagna to set.
- Serve with extra parmigiano cheese and dried chilies.